Method: Italian Meringue
Each of these icings are delicious in their own right and have many applications. Use the Nevado 35% icing to fill sugar cookies, the Noche 40% to top Luker Brownies and the Perla 64% icing to finish a layered cake. These are versatile and tasty icings with an impressive mouth feel.
Yield: 47.83-55.34 oz (1356-1569g)
- Pre-melt chocolate to 35°C (95°F); reserve in warming cabinet.
- In bowl of a stand mixer, put the egg whites and salt in the bowl, then set aside with 1/2 of the sugar (scaled separately).
- Place the remaining sugar and water in a small saucepan and set over high heat.
- Once the sugar mixture has reached 110°C (230°F), begin to whip the egg white mixture on high speed until foamy. Gradually add in the reserved sugar and continue to whip until medium peaks form.
- Continue to cook the syrup until reaching between 115°C (239°F) and 118°C (244.4°F).
- Remove syrup from heat immediately and with the mixer still running on medium/high speed, stream the hot syrup into the egg whites in a thin, steady stream. Try to avoid getting the syrup on the sides of the bowl.
- Beat until the egg white mixture triples in volume, turns super white and glossy, hold stiff peaks and the bottom of the bowl has cooled.
- With the mixer running on high speed, add the butter one piece at a time. Continue whipping until the icing comes together and is thick and fluffy.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the icing and fold it in with a rubber spatula. Return the bowl to the mixer and beat until smooth and uniform in color; 1 to 2 minutes.
- Keep covered at room temperature for 1 day, refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Bring the icing to room temperature before using. Soften with paddle attachment.
The perfect topper
This versatile icing can be made with any of Luker’s Fino de Aroma chocolates and always turns out delightful. Top off cakes, fill cookies, or frost brownies for a rich, creamy, cocoa taste. Pictured icing created using San Martin 72%.